- Celebrate your past. I will be honest with you – this is one of the hardest ones for me. There are things about the me that I just don’t want to celebrate. However, I think about it like this: everything that happened to me in the past made me the person I am today so I need to embrace and celebrate that past because, without it, I wouldn’t be me.
- Indulge in your desires. Now, not every desire should be indulged, but sometimes I think it’s important to recognise the things that make you happy, that inspire you, that send little shivers of delight down your spine. Doing so will help you recognise the uniqueness that is you and will help you to identify the things you can focus on, those things that truly bring you happiness.
- Let go of your mistakes. Mistakes happen. To everyone. No matter what you look like, who you are, what you do for a living, you have made mistakes. We all have. I look back on some of my mistakes and literally cringe. But you know what? It doesn’t do you any good to focus on them. Take what you can from them, learn from them, and then move the hell on.
- Transform your mindset. Sadly it’s often easier to put yourself down than it is to lift yourself up, but if you want to love yourself, you have to change your mindset. You have to believe that you are worthy of love and you have to actively seek out positive things about yourself and your life. Believe me, if you don’t do it, no one else well. Change the way you think about yourself and the rest will fall into place.
- Embrace your future. Sometimes you find yourself in a tough spot, unhappy with your life and ultimately unhappy with yourself. While I’m all about living in the present, I understand sometimes that the present can be pretty rotten. So cut yourself some slack and remember that you have a deliciously exciting future ahead of you. Focus on what’s to come and remind yourself that you can do anything.
- Dive into your passion. Most people are passionate about something. They have things that really matter to them -whether it is a cause or a job or a loved one or a hobby. Whatever it is that gets you really excited, focus on it. Embrace it. Run with it. One of the best ways you can learn to love yourself is to zero in on the things that make you the happiest and spend as much time as you can on them.
- Live in your moment. While it’s not always easy to live in the moment, it’s important that you do so. Why? Because to live in the moment is to accept what is and to accept what is is the best way I’ve found for truly loving yourself. If you focus on the past or future, you’re not loving yourself now. Love yourself by being present.
- Sing your own praises. I know some people don’t like toot their own horns, but you know what? It’s okay to say how awesome you are every once and awhile. It’s okay to admit that, wow, you did an amazing job on something or accomplished something you never thought you could. Celebrate yourself and your achievements and all of that self-love is sure to find you. Love your awesomeness because, seriously, you are awesome.
- Listen to your ideas. Do you ever find yourself ignoring your instincts or avoiding your gut reaction? Don’t do that anymore. If you want to love yourself, you have to believe yourself. You have to trust yourself. It’s not always easy to listen to yourself, but recognise that your thoughts and ideas are always valid (no matter how ridiculous they might seem). You don’t always have to act on your ideas, but always listen to them.
- Appreciate your life. Okay, so there are some things you want to change about yourself, about your body, about your relationships, about your life? That’s ok. We all want to change things. But what if you stopped focusing on the things you want to change and, instead, focused on the things you wanted to stay the same. Appreciating all that you have in your life is one of the very best ways to remember that you’re so very lucky to be YOU.
Of course, there are more than 10 ways to love yourself, but these are, in my opinion, the best place to start.
I recognise that loving yourself can be really hard work. It’s something I work on every day and still don’t think I have it completely down, but every time I do something or think something that aligns with the idea that I do, in fact, love myself, I find that I am a much more positive person. After all, it’s pretty hard to live in the moment and love the moment you are living in if you don’t love yourself…
As I was writing this post, I came across a quote that really inspired me. Kurt Hahn wrote:
“There is more in us than we known. If we can be made to see it, perhaps for the rest of our lives we will be unable to settle for less.”
When I read it, I thought to myself, Wow, that really is true. We are all such unique and complex beings and we often don’t spend the time or energy looking at ourselves in a deep and meaningful way. The more we turn our attention towards ourselves, towards the act of loving ourselves, the more likely we will be to ask for more from life and for ever, ever settle for less than we deserve. Don’t settle. Don’t wait. Start loving yourself right now!