- Be Grateful. One of the best ways to start off your day on the right foot is to begin your day by thinking about the things you are grateful for. It is not always easy to do this if you are in a bad mood or you have some things that you are not to looking forward to that day, but taking a few moments to be thankful for what is going well in your life is an excellent way to dive into the day with a positive attitude. If you like writing, it might be helpful to keep a little journal beside your bed and jot down the things that you are grateful for when you wake up in the morning. If you are not the writing kind, just thinking about the things that you are thankful for as you are opening your eyes and starting the day is a great way to start things off right.
- Be Energised. It can be hard to start off the day right if you are not feeling full of energy. When you are tired or dragging, it’s going to be difficult to be positive. I know first hand that when I’m not well-rested, I definitely feel like my mood worsens. So, in order to start of the day energised, make sure you get the right amount of rest (not too much or too little, Goldilocks!), eat healthy foods every day, drink lots and lots of water, and exercise (yeah, I need to work on that one…). If you treat your body right, you are more likely to be starting your days off with a lot of energy. Another way to start off your day with energy is to try your best to end your day with positive thoughts and images. When you are getting ready for bed, try to focus on the good things that happened that day and try to watch/read things that are positive. You can do a lot of preparing the day before to wake up energised and refreshed so get started now!
- Be mindful. Being present is one of the best ways to love every day. When you are living in the moment, you are not stressing about the future and you are not dwelling on the past. And one of the best ways to be present is to be mindful. Being mindful can be difficult, especially if you are not super excited about whatever you are engaging in on any particular day, but if you make the extra effort to look around you – to really, truly pay attention to your life and all that surrounds you – you will find that your days seem a lot more exciting. And a lot easier to love. Mindfulness and being very aware of what’s happening around you keeps you present and helps to keep unnecessary stress from your mind. Pay attention to everything, even the littlest details, and you’ll find that every day is worth loving.
- Be realistic. When you start your day, you might be overcome with ideas of what you think the day will – or should – be like. So often we place expectations on our days – good or bad – and so often those expectations aren’t realistic. How often have you thought a day would be the worst ever or anticipated that your day would be absolutely fantastic? It’s great to have an idea of what your day is going to be like, but it is not so great to be projecting generalisations on your day. It can be very tempting to think things like, “This day is going to be terrible” or “This is going to be the worst day ever,” but it is pretty unlikely that things will go as drastically as you have made out in your head. When you really start to think about something realistically, you will probably realise that things won’t be as bad as you think they will be. Be realistic about what your day will entail and you will most likely be able to handle whatever comes your way. Realise that most things aren’t the end of the world and you’ll be much more likely to face your challenges head on.
- Be open. Just think about the number of times you have started off a day thinking you knew exactly how it would go only to find out that it unveiled itself in an entirely unpredictable way. Life throws us some pretty crazy curve balls and one of the hardest things to do sometimes is to just let those curve balls come right at us. There are a lot of things in any given day that our out of our control. Sometimes this can be one of the hardest things to deal with in terms of loving your day, and that’s why it’s important to be open. Be open to the idea that anything can happen and that anything that may happen might actually be good. I know things have happened to me that I didn’t understand at the time, but that ended up being really great for me. Be open to new experiences and be open to the idea that any day has the potential to be a great day and you’re a lot more likely to enjoy your days a whole lot more.
- Be hopeful. Along with being open, you also want to start off every day with a healthy dose of hope. Some days this is so easy. It can be so easy when things are going well to believe that they will keep going well, but then there are those days when hope seems as likely as a fairy tale. And those are the days you need hope the most. When you wake and think the day is going to be awful, remember to have hope. Any day can transform into the best day – even when it seems completely beyond the realm of possibility. Life is so very unpredictable and I have never, ever been able to 100% predict what would happen to me on any given day. So when a day seems destined to be bad, take a moment and indulge in a little hope. It might sound silly or cliche, but there’s nothing like hope to get your day rolling in the right direction. No matter how much you think you’re going to hate your day, wake up and have hope because you never, ever know what the day will bring.
- Be determined. There’s a quote I would like to share with you that says: “I am determined to love each day more than I am afraid of it” you have to be determined. You have to really want to love every day. If you don’t, you won’t. It’s just that simple. Waking up happily and cheerfully every single morning might sound like a bit much to ask for, but you can wake up believing that your day will hold something magical and unexpected. You always have the opportunity to choose a positive outlook (even when it feels like the hardest thing in the world to do), but when it comes to loving each day, you have to be determined. You have to really want it and you have to make an effort. This is a very hard thing to do and I can’t say that I have mastered it yet, but I want to. I want to love every day as if it’s my last day and even though I’m not at that point yet, I have hope that I someday can be that person. Determination is key when it comes to numbers 1-6. Without determination, it’s going to very hard to do any of the things above when you’re facing a really hard day, but if you’re determined you have the power to do anything – including love every day you’re alive.
Following these seven strategies won’t always be easy. In fact, if you’re anything like me, most days it’ll be harder than it would seem. But if you try them and you are determined to love your days, I know you (and I!) can do it. Life’s too short not to love every day you are alive, but I think we often forget to love our days. Too often we forget that this life isn’t a given and that even when we are in a down turn or a low spot or a place of pain, we are all pretty lucky to be here. Every day you must wake and you must go on with your life so why not make an effort to love it?