So Spring has officially arrived!! I know it doesn’t quite feel like it but before we know it we will be sliding into British Summer Time. So here are 13 Way to enjoy Spring before it disappears.
- Take a long walk. It is just enough this time of year to get out of the house and enjoy the breeze and the sunshine. Last weekend I took a walk with Chris and it was wonderful. So many things were budding and blooming and I never would have seen them from the confines of my flat.
- Set up a picnic. I can’t remember the last time I had a picnic, but it sounds like a wonderful, spring-y idea. What is better than eating outdoors with the sun beating down and warming you? Grab a picnic basket or cool bag and a blanket and hit the park to take it all in.
- Look for signs of spring. Living in the moment is still a struggle for me sometimes so it really helps to be reminded of what’s happening around me. The best way to do this is to pay attention. When I open my eyes and look around I see that spring is bursting all around me. It seems like yesterday there was snow everywhere and now there’s daffodils, blossom trees are blooming and there’s green, as well as a warm-ish breeze! and I fully intend to take it all in.
- Wear flip-flops. Nothing puts me in the mood for spring like a great pair of well-worn flip-flops. When I recently brought them out of my wardrobe and put them on, I instantly felt like it was spring again. There is nothing so spring-y as putting flip-flops on again and realising that every month that passes for awhile will be warmer and warmer and warmer…
- Open your windows. For the first time in a long, long time, I wound the blinds fully up and pulled open the windows. It was wonderful to be there, writing and feeling the crisp air on my arms and face. It was wonderful to hear the birds chirping so cheerfully, calling out to one another.
- Snap photos of the season. You can always capture a great moment by bringing your camera out. Taking photos not only helps you to remember the sun-streaked memories of spring, but it also helps you to be more present. When you are taking pictures, you are looking at everything with a new perspective, which will help you stay focused on enjoying the spring moments.
- Sit outside at a pub or restaurant. Around here, pubs and restaurants are beginning to set up their outdoor gear. If that’s happening near you, take advantage of that! It’s not all year that you can sit outside (at least not where I live) so it’s really great when it’s once again an option to dine al fresco. If you have the choice between sitting inside or sitting outside, go for the fresh weather to make your meal even better.
- Engage in spring cleaning. I know for most people this doesn’t sound like a whole lot of fun, but even if you don’t enjoy organising things, you’ll feel great once you’ve gone through your stuff, sorted everything, and gotten rid of the things you don’t need.
- Buy (or bring out) a fun, new outfit. Now I know purchasing things isn’t supposed to make us happy, but it does feel great to wear something very spring-like that you never could have worn in the winter. Once the weather gets warm, it’s so fun to bring out an outfit you had packed away for the winter or, if you can, buy something new that will inspire you all season long.
- Pay attention to nature. In our busy lives, it can be hard to really pay attention to nature. How many times do you zone-out on your commute to work and not look around? How often do you rush through your to do list without so much as a glance to what’s happening around you? This spring, start looking around and you will be surprised by what you find. Nature is entering into a new phase and it’s pretty cool to watch.
- Visit the zoo or park. To get an even better look at what’s happening with nature, take a visit to your local zoo, farm or park. If you have an opportunity to check out how much animals (or other people) are enjoying the spring weather, take it. It’s inspiring to see other beings getting into the change of seasons and you’ll find yourself even more excited when you see their enthusiasm.
- Go for a drive. Sometimes one of the best ways to take in the world is from the space behind the steering wheel. There is something about the rush of the road and the swirling of wind in your hair that really allows you to be into the moment. When spring has arrived, there is something amazing about a nice, long drive with your music up high. Take one and see how you feel…
- Celebrate with friends. If you are going to enjoy the season, you might as well celebrate it! Invite some friends over to get into the season with you. There’s nothing quite like being surrounded with your friends to bring out the best in any season. Celebrate the spring!
Spring is the gateway to summer and I’m so happy that it’s finally arrived. The more I think about it, the more I realise that there are many, many more ways to enjoy spring. I’d love to hear about them so feel free to share your springtime ideas in the comments section…
How are you taking advantage of spring? What are your favorite ways to enjoy the season?